Chemical peels are used to treat a variety of skin concerns such as: acne, dull dry skin, hyper-pigmentation, and prematurely aging skin. They are safely used on any area of the body but most often times are used primarily on the face, neck, chest, and back to safely reveal healthier more vibrant skin in all skin types of varying ages.
Most of the chemical peels used in JSC are imported from Spain and are of great quality.
Upon hearing the term “chemical peel”, patients sometimes assume the word “chemical” means bad for you. The truth is that not all chemicals are bad. Contrary to popular belief, the active acids in most chemical peels are actually natural ingredients. For example, glycolic acid is derived from sugar cane, and lactic acid from sour milk. As long as a professional who is aware of the risks and possible contraindications is using them, chemical peels are completely safe.
How Chemical Peels Work
We begin first by thoroughly cleansing the skin and using acetone, if needed, on areas with excess oil. The peel is then applied and left on the skin for a
pre-determined amount of time to help you achieve the best results in the least amount of treatments. There are numerous peels available such as: salicylic, glycolic, retinoic, lactic, and TCA to help you address your individual concerns.
Recovery time varies based upon the type of peel used. Most peels do not require social downtime but the patient may experience some redness, “frosting” for 24 hours post treatment. Some chemical peels allow the action of peeling to actually occur in our office so there is no peeling post treatment while others may have sloughing of dead skin cells for up to 7 days. We recommend using mineral makeup to conceal any areas of redness and broad spectrum sunscreen to protect the skin from sun damage.
- Initial Consultation
- Procedure: 15-30 minutes per session
- Sessions Required for Optimal Results: 4-6
- Duration of Results: varies depending upon type of peel used
Chemical Peel Benefits
- Skin appears tighter.
- Skin is refined by the removal of unwanted damaged and dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.
- The increased activity on the surface of the skin causes the body to respond better and optimize the way the skin performs.
- Chemical compounds clear the skin from acne breakouts by causing the skin to purge the bacteria.
- Refines the pores but causes them to tighten and appear smaller.
- Promotes collagen production in the skin, which helps with the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Enhances the absorption of skincare products by allowing them to penetrate more quickly and increases efficiency.
- Reduces discoloration in the skin for a more even tone and complexion.