What is wart?
Wart is a small rough growth over the skin resembling cauliflower. Sometimes it can be smooth.
It is caused by various strains of Human Pappiloma Virus (HPV)
This is a contagious disease and spreads when a broken skin comes in contact with a person having warts. It can affect any part of the body.
Types of Warts:
- Common Warts : small swellings with uneven surface and can occur anywhere in body.
- Plane Warts : small round smooth lesions usually multiple over the face or arms.
- Filiform Warts : Finger like projections seen over it. Most of the time over the face.
- Genital Warts : This can be sometimes glistening. Need to examine all your sexual partners and treat them if needed.
- Plantar Warts : this can be painful sometimes , little dark ones over the soles.
Treatment Options for Warts :
- Topical preparations like Salicylic Acid or Retinoid creams are used as exfoliators and keratolytic to reduce the number and size of the lesions. Small ones might be cured with this.
- Radiofrequency : Cautery or Hyfrecation is the most common procedure done in almost every skin clinic for the warts where these lesions are burned with their roots to prevent recurrences.
- Cryotherapy : This is the ideal method to treat for warts over the fingers, hand and genitals where the warts are freezed using Liquid Nitrogen . This might require multiple sessions though.
- Autoinoculation : As body doesnt have any immunity against the virus this procedure is performed if the warts and recurrent in nature where small bits of warts are inserted into a pocket created in deep dermal layer of the skin.