It is a immune mediated disorder with genetic predisposition, which can affect all parts of the body individually or generalized. Many patients suffer the disease for years without any proper guidance. Biological treatments are the most innovative approach with very good results and bringing back the joy in the life.
It is not a contagious disease and cannot spread to one another by contact & affects 2% of population.
What are the symptoms of psoriasis? – Areas of skin that are dry or red, and that are usually covered with silvery or white scales.
- Rashes on the scalp, genitals, or in skin folds
- Joint pain, swelling, or stiffness
- Nail changes that make the fingernails or toenails look pitted, crumbly, or different in color
What are the trigger factors of my disease?
The disease can exacerbate during winters, obesity, increased stress(physical and psychological), smoking & alcohol, infections, when the body’s immunity comes down or sometimes due to intake of certain drugs (Please tell your doctor about medicines you are taking for some other ailment or disease).
DIET: Take Omega-3 rich foods, such as flax seeds, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts, fish, avocado. Have plenty of water.
Avoid taking sugary foods, junk foods, diary products, high fat meat, alcohol, gluten (wheat, barley)
- Daily baths
- Regular use of moisturizers twice daily, irrespective of the season
- Strictly follow instructions given; Do not miss your medications at any cost
- Do get some sun, psoriasis lesions often diminish when exposed to ultraviolet light. Limit sun exposure to 15 minutes and be careful to avoid sunburn.
- Do manage stress, try meditation and yoga, exercises.
- Add Epsom salts or Dead Sea salts, oil or oilated oatmeal in your bath to get rid of scales and calm itching
- Avoid stress, smoking, alcohol, infections, especially of throat which are known trigger factors.
- Do not ignore flare of the disease
- Do not go for junk foods and fatty foods
- Hot temperatures and harsh soaps can be hard on skin
- Avoid woollen and thick synthetic clothes which can irritate
- Do not self-medicate and do not use any medication for more than the duration prescribed.
Home remedies for Psoriasis to help you in treating this condition:
Turmeric for psoriasis : A teaspoon of turmeric in half a glass of warm water empty stomach in morning and night. It helps the liver to filter and detoxify the blood. It eliminates toxins and limits the cause of psoriasis.
Over-the-counter for psoriasis : Tar-containing creams, soaps and shampoos loosen up psoriasis scales. These OTC products are effective to maintain psoriasis.