What is Laser hair removal ?
Laser hair removal is an advanced, fast, safe, and non-invasive cosmetic procedure that employs a focused, high-energy laser beam to methodically kill stem cells located in hair follicles. The laser targets and destroys unwanted hair without damaging the surrounding skin, leaving your skin smooth and hairless.
How does Laser hair removal work ?
The laser works by sending a high intensity light beam of a specific wavelength to target the dark pigment, known as melanin found in abundance, at the base of the hair surrounding the follicle. Melanin absorbs the light, producing heat, which in turn damages the hair follicle, causing the hair to fall out. One of the biggest advantages of laser hair removal is its precision. The laser beam targets only the hair follicle, leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
What are the machines available at Jeevannavar Skin Care for Hair removal?
- Fotona SP dynamis – an LP Nd YAG laser best for Dark skin and thick hair
- Artemmis I – a Diode laser best for skin type III and IV & medium thickness hair
- Forma Tk – a 4th Generation Phased IPL best for very thin hair
All 3 machines at our clinic are world class US FDA approved lasers and ours is the only clinic in North Karnataka to have all 3 technologies at a single centre.
Which Laser machine to choose ?
Some types of hair removal are better suited to certain body areas. Treatment of sensitive skin and acne prone skin requires LP Nd YAG laser like Fotona SP dynamis and Forma Tk machine IPL. Darker skin people tend to burn easily hence LP Nd YAG is preferred in them as it spares the upper layers of the skin and penetrates deeper and affects only the hair bulb, for fair skin individuals Diode laser is preferred.
Thin Vellus hair requires treatment from FRAC3 mode as Diode laser doesn’t work well for it.
What body areas can be treated?
We address various regions of the body for both men and women according to their needs. The Face and neck being commonest, followed by underarms, legs, bikini areas, chest and back in women, Men tend to get laser for Beard shaping, chest and back areas more often.
Who can have laser hair removal?
Anyone with extra body hair can have laser hair removal. It’s usually a cosmetic procedure. Usually women who have PCOS & other hormonal imbalances, taken medications like anabolic steroids, birth control pills etc, inherited disorders or just familial increased hair growth can undergo lasers. Lasers are contraindicated in Pregnancy, active infections, or skin cancers.
Pre and Post procedure care?
- Avoid other hair removal methods aside from shaving and epilation creams in between sessions.
- Trim or shave the area 2-3 days before the treatment. Laser hair reduction wont work if the hair is kept longer.
- Do not bleach, wax, thread or pluck hair throughout the course of the treatment.
- Do not apply henna to treated areas 7-10 days prior to and after the treatment.
- Avoid sunbathing/direct sun exposure for a minimum of 2 weeks after the treatment.
- Apply sunscreen on a regular basis 15 minutes before stepping out and repeat 2 to 3 times in the course of the day.