If you are approaching your thirties or forties, or older, you may have started to notice 'smile' lines at the sides of your eyes or deep furrows of your brows and forehead, especially when you are in an emotional discussion. These beginning signs of more permanent wrinkles to come are actually creases that are being worn into the skin by making the same facial expression over and over. These 'expression lines,' also known as frown lines or crow's feet, are caused by the contraction of the muscles underneath the skin. We have known for years that surgically cutting the muscle will improve the wrinkle.
BOTOX® is a purified protein that is produced by the clostridium botulinum bacteria. There have been no serious side effects associated with its use by dermatologists. It is a natural, extremely safe, although temporary method of improving wrinkles and signs of aging of the face and neck.
How do Wrinkle Relaxers Work ?
When we laugh or frown our brain sends a signal to our muscles to make expression lines appear on our face. Wrinkle relaxers are used to smooth out the expression lines that are caused by those muscles.
Say, for example you had a frown line you wished to get rid of. To treat this, the wrinkle relaxer is injected into the muscles surrounding the brow area. The way the wrinkle relaxer works is that it blocks the signals from the nerve to the facial muscles to stop them contracting, leaving the skin looking smooth.
No anaesthesia is needed, though ice may be used to numb the area before and after your treatment.
A few drops of BOTOX® are injected with a tiny needle into the muscle that is causing the wrinkle. Over the next five to seven days the BOTOX® effect begins. BOTOX® can also be injected into specific muscles of the forehead to raise the eyebrows and create a beautiful arch, and make the eyes appear larger.
Botox Is Safe ?
Botox has been safely used for over 10 years for the treatment of spasms of the eye. It was noted that many of the patients also noted improvement of wrinkles around the eye after their Botox treatments. Dermatologists then further developed use of Botox specifically for the improvement of wrinkles. However a subset of those who were treated for wrinkles, who also happened to suffer from migraine headaches, noted that their migraine headaches also improved
- Lifting of the brows
- Improve wrinkles of the forehead, between the eyes, crows feet (sides of eyes)
- Improve lines of neck and around mouth
- Treatment of excessive sweating of underarms, hands and feet
- Bunny lines
- Chin dimples
- Upperlip lines
- Jawline slimming (masseter reduction)
Possible Side Effects of Botox®
- When injected to the forehead there is a small risk of bruising. This usually last for five to seven days and clears without leaving a scar.
- When injected around the eyes there is a small risk of drooping of the brows (called ptosis). This is also temporary and can be improved with medicated eye drops.
- When injected around the mouth or neck, there is some associated weakness of the overlying muscles, which can lead to mild drooling.
- When injected into the underarms or hands, there is mild, temporary weakness of the hand. For example, it might be more difficult to open a tight jar, but typing ability would not be affected.
- Although Botox® is a very safe treatment, it should not be used in pregnant women or anyone with some specific neurological diseases.
Botox for Excessive Sweating
Other very effective uses of Botox, recently developed by Dermatologists are the improvement of excessive sweating of the hands and feet. When topical and oral medications fail, Botox has been proven to be very effective for the treatment of uncontrollable sweating, especially of the underarms, hands and feet.
How long does a treatment take?
This is a simple and quick process lasting approximately 10 minutes, but no longer than half an hour. It involves no downtime so there is no disruption to your lifestyle.
When will I see the results?
In three to ten days, you should see a marked improvement in moderate to severe lines. Lines continue to improve for up to a month. In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women rated the improvement in their appearance as moderate to better one month after treatment